What I'll be Playing for the Rest of 2017

An explosive year's end

2017 has already given us some stellar games. From new releases, to the launch of the Switch, the awesome content keeps rolling. Personally, I’ve had a blast with Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart, as well as some non-Nintendo games such as Overcooked and Injustice 2. But, the year isn’t over yet, and there is a lot still to enjoy. So, without further ado, here are six games I’m hyped for through the rest of 2017.

Sonic Mania (August 15)



I love the characters and aesthetic of Sonic the Hedgehog. But it has been awhile since one of his games has really captivated me. Sonic Generations was the last title I truly enjoyed, and Sonic Rush Adventure before that. However, the purest form of Sonic is his Genesis games, and Mania seems to be a perfect continuation of that. The graphics are stellar, the music is great, and from all accounts, Mania plays like a dream. I can’t wait to pick this one up on Switch in under a week.


Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (August 22)



The Switch has been so fantastic that I haven’t turned my PS4 on since Injustice 2. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy will change that. Perhaps my favorite non-Nintendo franchise, Uncharted delivers everything I could ask for. The games have a tight narrative, engaging story, great set pieces, solid gunplay, and beautiful graphics. And from what I’ve seen, The Lost Legacy is no different.


Metroid: Samus Returns (September 15)



Now, don’t get me wrong. I love the 3DS. In fact, I’d put it in my top 3 Nintendo devices. However, between the lack of compelling software recently and the Switch's launch I haven't felt any desire to use it in quite some time. But after a quick archaeological exploration, I’ve found the system and the charger, just in time to head back to planet SR388. The fact that this game is even coming out is a bit surreal. We’re getting a brand new 2D Metroid adventure that is evolving the franchise, but keeping the core gameplay intact. I really like the new melee counter and the map feature. At this point, the only way my enjoyment of this game could be dampened is if I can’t find that Metroid amiibo two pack.

Fire Emblem Warriors (September 28?)



Hyrule Warriors was a great surprise on the Wii U, actually I think it’s one of the console’s best games. My jaunt through that Hyrule skinned Dynasty Warriors title has me very excited for Fire Emblem Warriors. I just hope that it incorporates some of the tactical elements from Fire Emblem into this game, but if it is just a straight Dynasty Warriors game, I’ll still be happy. Just being able to control iconic characters like Marth and Chrom is exciting enough. The Japanese eShop slates this one for the end of September, and hopefully North America follows suit.


Super Mario Odyssey (October 27)



I’ve gushed plenty about Super Mario Odyssey already, but this game just looks so damn good in every aspect that I have more and more to say. The sandbox design hearkens back to 64 and Sunshine which is great on its own, but the Power Moon system is evolving the sandbox for the better. I love exploration in Mario games, so being able move from moon to moon seamlessly without exiting the level sounds great. I can’t wait to sink my teeth into Super Mario Odyssey in just a few months.


Star Wars Battlefront II (November 17)



My favorite game on the PS2 is Star Wars Battlefront II. It’s a bit funny how Star Wars Battlefront II will probably be one of my favorite PS4 games as well. Now, bizarre repeat naming scheme aside, this game looks phenomenal. Personally, I enjoy online multiplayer, but I’m most excited for the brand new single player campaign. DICE proved last year with Battlefield 1 that they can do great single player content, so I can’t wait to see how that experience translates into the galaxy far, far away.
_________________________

Well, there you have it. Those are the six games I’ll be purchasing upon launch for the rest of the year. That isn’t all that I’m excited for though, Mario + Rabbids, Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2, Call of Duty WWII, and Sonic Forces are all games that I’d like to play at some point. Whether that ends up being this holiday or next year, those are on my distant radar as well. Regardless of what you’ll be playing, 2017 will go down as one of the best years in gaming, period.

Comments