Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct 11.1.18 ~ A Mixed Bag



Just a few days ago, Nintendo held the final Direct presentation for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, revealing the final newcomers as well as new modes and features. In my opinion, the Direct was neither as disappointing as it could've been, but not as exciting as it should've been. Across the board, the new fighters let me down. While I don't think Ken, Incineroar, or Piranha Plant are outwardly bad, I just don't think that these were exciting final announcements. Of the three, Incineroar was the most interesting to me, but none were on the level of King K. Rool, Ridley, or Isabelle for me personally.

The Spirits mechanic is a double-edged sword, because on one hand, I'm sad to see trophies go, but on the other, I'm really intrigued by Spirits. For me, trophies were always a metagame, something to collect when I was tired of regular Smash Bros. fights. However, trophies really didn't amount to much more than a curio; whereas Spirits seem far more intrinsically tied to gameplay. I love how Sakurai has created an actual metagame around them; sending them out on expeditions and such. While I'm not huge on RPG elements in games, being able to collect innumerable classic (and obscure, I saw that Captain Rainbow Spirit!) characters in Spirit form might become my new addiction.

Everything else in the Direct just felt like filler frankly, or questionably better or worse design decisions, as in the case with online match-making. Personally, I don't play Smash Bros. online outside of playing with friends, so I'm not personally bothered by this new three-factor system, but I know this is a fairly large blow for competitive players. So, with all that said, I was feeling rather mixed about the Direct.

...

Well, I WAS, until World of Light was revealed. This was an absolutely epic end-cap to a mediocre Direct, and I had so much to say that I made a full video about it, which you can watch right here:


I'll be doing even more coverage on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate leading up to December 7th, and then after I've sunk my teeth into the game I'll be delivering a full review, probably a week or so later. In addition, stay tuned for some Pokemon LGPE content when that game launches in just under two weeks. Talk to you all soon!

Comments

Post a Comment