Nintendo @ E3 2017: Day One Reactions!



Soaring Success

E3 2017 looked like it was going to be a disappointment for me. I watched every conference live except for EA’s and Bethesda’s, and was universally let down. The conferences felt bloated and lacked interesting surprises. Sony’s conference in particular was surprisingly devoid of new games and solid release dates. That was another trend across E3 2017, games either didn’t get a release date, or are 2018 titles. That doesn’t mean there weren’t bright spots, because there were. Star Wars Battlefront II, Anthem, Sea of Thieves, and Spider-Man were exciting, and I cannot wait to play them. Overall though, the conferences felt middle of the road at best. Thankfully, Nintendo did a great job, and redeemed the show for me. They announced new games that had me out of my seat in excitement, and they put release dates on almost everything announced. There was a lot covered in today’s showing, so let’s jump right in.

Yoshi- Nintendo Switch- 2018

During the show, I was completely indifferent to this game. While I like Yoshi’s Wooly World, it felt a little basic. Yoshi for Switch will probably be the same simple fun. Though, this game seems to have a little more to it than I thought at first. It isn’t a straight 2D platformer, as you move across a snaking plane, instead of a true 2D one. Yoshi can also ground pound to see the stage from the opposite side. Overall, I can’t say I’m that excited for Yoshi, but I’ll pick it it up anyway. It has a good aesthetic, and in Co-Op, this will be a good time.


Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser’s Minions- Nintendo 3DS-  October 6, 2017

This game was leaked a while ago, so its existence wasn’t too surprising. I’m not sure I’ll even be picking this one up. Fawful is a great character, and the Bowser’s Minions mode could be fun. Still, I’ve played enough Mario & Luigi games for the time being. Though, two cool Amiibo were announced, and I’ll definitely be picking up the Koopa Troopa one.


Xenoblade 2- Nintendo Switch- Holiday 2017

I have never gotten into Xenoblade, and I don’t think this game will change my mind. It looks like more of the same for the franchise. It looks technically impressive, but that is about the best I can say. Neither the gameplay nor the story of these games has ever hooked me, so Xenoblade 2 doesn’t appeal to me. Though, if you’re a fan of the franchise, I’m sure this will be a slam dunk.


Kirby- Nintendo Switch- 2018

Much like Yoshi, at first glance Kirby Switch didn’t do anything for me. I’ve gotten a bit tired of 2D platformers, especially Kirby ones. From the trailer, this looked like a beautiful, Co-Op game that I’ll have a ton of fun playing with my sister. Though, it looked almost identical to the Kirby game on Wii. Thankfully, under the surface, Kirby 2018 has a bit more to it. This game brings back the ability to combine copy abilities, as well as Kirby’s animal partners. These are two awesome features that spice up the gameplay and have been missing for quite some time. Combining copy abilities in particular is a feature I’ve wanted back for some time. Also, if Nago from Kirby’s Dream Land 3 returns as an animal partner, I’ll be very happy. I don’t think these additions will make the game feel completely new, but they will provide a different enough experience to warrant a day one purchase. Overall, this was one of my favorite announcements.


Rocket League- Nintendo Switch- Holiday 2017

I’ve never gotten into Rocket League. I played it briefly with my cousin, but have never picked it up myself. This Switch version will be my entry point to the series. It has all of the content in the other versions of the game, as well as Switch exclusive items and modes. This game is a smart addition to the Switch’s line-up, and I’m very glad Nintendo and Psyonix were able to bring it over.


Metroid Prime 4- Nintendo Switch- No Release Window

Yes, I predicted this one. Still, of all my predictions, I was most shaky about whether Metroid Prime 4 was real. Thankfully, it is. We did not see any gameplay, or even a GCI trailer, but the logo was enough to get me out of my seat. That was an incredibly hype moment, and I cannot wait to play it. Even though I’ve never made it through a Prime game, I am excited to give the franchise another go because I really like its world.


Metroid: Samus Returns- Nintendo 3DS- September 15, 2017

This is the announcement I lost my mind over, and perhaps my game of the show. I had Treehouse on all afternoon, and I certainly did not expect this game. This why it pays to watch Treehouse Live, and I’m planning on tuning in tomorrow as well. 2D Metroid resonates with me much more than FPS Metroid, and this game came out of left-field. I didn’t have any plans on buying more 3DS games, but I’ll have to pick this one up. Metroid: Samus Returns is as true, modern Metroid game. Everything about it looks like classic Metroid with added features and abilities. Also, the Amiibo are just plain cool.


The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild DLC- Nintendo Switch/Wii U- Pack One June 30, 2017

Breath of the Wild got a short showing today too, with the DLC and a few new amiibo getting highlighted. The Trial of the Sword looks like a lot of fun, and an extension of Eventide Island from the base game. I was unsure as of whether I’d even purchase the DLC, but now I will. The Amiibo I’m less sure of though. I like the designs of the figures, but I don’t really need them. Unless they have interesting functionality, I’ll probably skip them.


Fire Emblem Warriors- Nintendo Switch/3DS- Autumn 2017

Fire Emblem Warriors looks like Hyrule Warriors, which shouldn’t come as a surprise. Still, it has a few new additions that look great. Those include being able to command your troops as well as pair your heroes up just like in the main-line games. And, surprise surprise, there are two new Amiibo to go along with the game. Chrom and Tiki Amiibo have been announced, and I am planning on picking up Chrom alongside the game. I really enjoyed Hyrule Warriors, so Fire Emblem Warriors will be a ton of fun as well.


Super Mario Odyssey- Nintendo Switch- October 27, 2017

Is anyone really surprised that this game looks awesome? That trailer demonstrated the wacky vibe and fun gameplay that I hoped to see from this game. The idea of transforming Mario into different objects and enemies by throwing his hat onto them sounds ridiculous, but a ton of fun. Suiting Mario up in different sets of gear also is unique, and seems to really affect the gameplay. I haven’t been this excited for a Mario game in a long time. The release date is also much sooner than I expected, so we don’t have to wait too long for this game. My only concern so far is that from the Treehouse footage I’ve seen, the worlds look a bit empty, but that might not be an issue at all. No matter what happens, I can’t wait for October.


Pokemon- Nintendo Switch- No Release Window

Game Freak and the Pokemon Company almost redeemed themselves after Pokken DX today. There is officially a mainline Pokemon game being worked on for Nintendo Switch! Much like Metroid Prime 4, there isn’t even a release year on this one, so it might be awhile. However, was an announcement out of left field. I thought there was no way we’d hear about a new Pokemon game this soon, but I am very excited. Hopefully this one will revive my interest in the franchise, much like X/Y did back in 2013.


And that was day one of Nintendo’s E3 showing! Overall, it was a very strong day when you factor in both the Spotlight and the Treehouse Live broadcast. I was surprised by the lack of Animal Crossing, but even more surprising were the absences of Smash Bros and Pikmin. I can’t help but be just a bit disappointed that those games did not show up, especially considering how obvious they seemed. Anyway, what was actually announced went above and beyond the minimum, and I feel much more fulfilled than I have the past few Nintendo E3s. Keep a sharp eye on Treehouse Live over the next couple days, because today’s stream was full of surprises. Who knows, maybe tomorrow we’ll see some of those franchises that were strangely absent. I’ll be watching!


Comments