The Capes Awards: The Best of Nintendo in 2017

Happy New Year!

After a hell of a rollercoaster year, 2017 has finally drawn to a close. We saw the best and the worst of this industry, and a whole lot of in between. But, as we prepare to enter the next chapter of gaming history, let’s take a moment and look back at the best parts of 2017 in the first annual Capes Awards.

Favorite Gaming Moment- Super Mario Odyssey’s Reveal
Runner Up: Unboxing my Nintendo Switch on Launch Day


It was roughly 10:30 at night on January 12th. The Switch Presentation was set to start in just half an hour, but I told my friend I’d wait and watch the conference with him the following day. I got into bed and closed my eyes. Every couple of minutes my eyes would flit open, and I’d remark that we were ticking ever closer to 11pm. Suffice it to say, 10:59 rolled around and I was sitting upright, waiting for the broadcast to start. My hype was a bit subdued, thanks in part to the crippling language barrier that nearly stopped that live show dead in its tracks. I was excited by the system, and some games looked interesting, but nothing had knocked my socks off just yet. The screen came up on a city street as a manhole cover began to shake. I chuckled to myself, fully expecting Detective Pikachu to be revealed right there as a Nintendo Switch launch title. Imagine my surprise when not Pikachu, but Mario jumped out of the pipe. Then, imagine myself and my tablet falling out of bed, a single tear in my eye, and a suppressed scream struggling to escape my mouth and wake up my whole family. I have a general disdain for overreactions, especially when it comes to game announcements, but I was so excited, so surprised, that I couldn’t help but freak out as I saw Mario return to form in front of my tired eyes. Never before or since have I gotten that excited about a game, and so the reveal of Super Mario Odyssey has to be my favorite gaming moment of 2017.

Hype-Worthy Game- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Also Worth Mention: Super Mario Odyssey


So many games become victims of hype. Companies spend anywhere from months to years revving fans up for the next big thing, only to have it disappoint. Often, the final product is far from bad, but has simply been blown out of proportion by the industry at large, and couldn’t possibly live up to the expectations set before it. However, every now and again, not only does a game live up to its hype, but exceeds it in every way. Such is the case for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Nintendo spent three years hyping up, and then delaying Breath of the Wild. It was always the carrot on the end of the stick; that really exciting experience that would be shown for mere seconds in each direct, E3, and Game Awards. Then, we found out that it would be headlining the launch of the Nintendo Switch. There was no way that Breath of the Wild could deliver on all it promised to be, and I myself was trying to keep my expectations reasonable. Yet, somehow Nintendo was able to surpass the loftiest expectations and deliver a universally-adored Game of the Year-winning title.


Breath of the Wild 100% deserves the award. However, Super Mario Odyssey deserves a tip of the hat for meeting my personal hype. Quite often I find myself excited for games, but on the whole, I have no problem waiting for their release. On the contrary, I was counting down the days until Odyssey’s launch, watching every review and gameplay video I could find, and ingraining the lyrics of Jump Up, Superstar! Into my head.  Upon release, I loved my time with the game, and it is easily my second favorite 3D Mario title. I do have my qualms with the post-game, but the core experience is so spectacular that Super Mario Odyssey unquestionably lived up to my hype.

Game I Need to Spend More Time With- L.A. Noire
Runner Up: Stardew Valley


L.A. Noire has the potential to be one of my favorite games of all time upon completion. I expected to like it, but I didn’t expect to like it this much. I love the setting, I love the gameplay, and I love just how unique this game is. The driving and shooting mechanics are pretty basic, but the detective mechanic is unlike anything I’ve seen before. Rockstar really hit on something special with this game, and while it won’t be for everyone, it certainly is for me. I just received it for Christmas, but since getting it, all other games on my Switch have ceased to be played and all my time has been devoted to this game. I can’t wait to finish L.A. Noire in the coming weeks.

Left-Field Award- Metroid: Samus Returns
Runner Up: Metroid Prime 4


Sometimes a game is so surprising and unexpected that it deserves a reward. Metroid Prime 4 was surprising enough, but Metroid: Samus Returns blindsided me. After the infamous Prime tease, the last thing I expected was another Metroid announcement. Not only was Samus Returns shown off at E3, but it was promptly released mere months later! Not in my wildest dreams did I see this coming. I do have some issues with the game itself, but I can’t deny how surprising its reveal and subsequent release was.

Biggest Head Scratcher- New Nintendo 2DS XL
Runner Up: Nintendo Switch Online App



Sometimes things happen that simply don’t make sense. The first sign that something was afoot was when I saw it’s announcement, and thought it is was an elaborate joke. That was the case for the New Nintendo 2DS XL. The 3DS XL made sense; the original 3DS was in desperate need of a redesign. The New 3DS/XL, again, made sense as it gave the 3DS family the boost it needed to make it just a couple more years. I even understand the reasoning behind the 2DS, although I never bought one, a cheaper, sturdier iteration of the 3DS handheld to capture a younger demographic makes perfect sense. But a New 2DS XL? Same form factor as the New 3DS XL just without 3D at a barely cheaper price? Something just doesn’t add up!

Favorite amiibo- Inkling Boy (Splatoon 2)
Runner Up: Link [Archer] (The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild)


Love them or hate them, amiibo are here to stay. Ever since 2014 the NFC figures have been a cash cow for Nintendo. I was hit with the amiibo fever pretty hard, and I’m sitting at nearly forty figures as of now. I do think my love affair with amiibo is winding down, although I still picked up a few figures. And I’ve got to say, the figures keep looking better and better with each successive wave. Nintendo is really starting to nail the look and feel of both the characters and their respective games. The Smash Bros. series looks nice, but the franchise specific figures look the best. Such is the case for my favorite 2017 amiibo: Inkling Boy. This Splatoon 2 figure puts the Splatoon 1 figures to shame. Whereas I found the 2015 line to be a bit flat and uninteresting, the Splatoon 2 figures all look great. Alas, I was only able to find Inkling Boy in stores. Nonetheless, I am glad to have found him at all. His pose is much more expressive, as is his facial expression. The sculpts of these guys have much more energy and the the colors are far more vibrant. The spiral of ink coming up from his base is a nice touch as well. Nintendo is really stepping up the quality of these figures, but they’re also stepping up the price, and I just don’t know how many more I can afford. That is, until they release a Star Fox line.Then it’s all over for me.

Favorite Joy-Con Combination- Neon Yellow + Neon Blue
Runner Up: Grey + Neon Blue



I really love being able to personalize my Switch via the Joy-Cons I have on the console. I got the grey Joy-Con Switch bundle at launch, as I thought I’d prefer the uniform, slick look of the double grey controllers. However, that quickly changed. Now, I have my grey set, the neon red/blue set, and the neon yellow set. My favorite Joy-Con combination is a neon yellow Joy-Con R, paired with a neon blue Joy-Con L. Something about that color combination just works for me, and I don’t anticipate using any other set for quite a while. With any luck, we’ll get a host of new Joy-Con in 2018.

Best Controls- Super Mario Odyssey
Runner Up: Splatoon 2



Sometimes we take for granted one of the most integral parts of a game: the control. Games can live and die by their controls: Star Fox Zero is a recent casualty on this front. But, when a game controls well, we hardly notice because playing just feels natural. Of every game I played this year, Super Mario Odyssey controlled effortlessly. Several hours of my time with Odyssey were spent simply jumping around as Mario because he moves so fluidly. The developers have also designed the game in a way to complement their controls. The most novice of players can enjoy Super Mario Odyssey utilizing only the most basic of jumps. However, Mario’s movement can be scaled up as high as your skill allows: Run up a hill, roll dash to gain speed, long jump out of the roll, throw Cappy, bounce off of him, throw him again, and then dive forward for a final bit of distance. This higher level of control serves as a deeper level to the game; something to be learned in order to augment your skill and shave time in future playthroughs. From the simplest tap of the A button to that whole chain of movements, the developers balanced the game in a way that makes all movement options viable, and never left any player in a situation that demanded a precise action out of their grasp. Not to mention, jumping about as Mario is just damn fun. Super Mario Odyssey is an achievement in control.

Best Nintendo Switch Icon- Splatoon 2
Runner Up: Sonic Mania


Picking a good Nintendo Switch icon is half the battle. As we’ve seen with the likes of Snake Pass and Lego Worlds, this small thing is the icing on the cake for many people. And, if a game is accompanied by a bad icon, people have no qualms when it comes to getting up in arms over it online. Personally, I’ve never understood why this is such a tinderbox for people, however, I too can appreciate a good Switch icon. Yet, I feel that many times retail games take the easy way out and re-use their box art as the Switch icon. Not Splatoon 2. The icon is a brand new piece of art, not used anywhere on the box itself. Past that, the image has a great color contrast and two very expressive inklings which put me right in the spirit before I even boot up the title. Hopefully more Switch games follow in Splatoon 2’s footsteps (in this area only, mind you) and create original images for their icons.

Best Art Direction- GoNNER
Runner Up: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild


GoNNER’s art style blew me away. It is one of the most visually unique games I’ve ever seen, and it is a real feat on the developer’s behalf. The visuals convey a very ominous tone, as the background pops in various hues of red, blue, and purple. The characters are simple, but their designs are accentuated by their saturated color palates. Screenshots of GoNNER look great, but to see it in motion, as the level unfolds in front of your eyes, is another beast entirely. It’s hard to verbalize just how breathtaking this game is, as there are no good comparisons. This is an art style unlike any you’ve seen before, and it certainly deserves praise.

Best Character Design- ARMS
Runner Up: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild


ARMS is a rather uneven game.When it first launched, I had a great time. However, I found the game to be quite shallow, and I fell off of the game fairly quickly after launch. I still jump back in here or there to play with my sister, but I rarely touch the game by myself. However, for all the systemic problems I have with the game, I can’t deny how downright fantastic the character design is. From the launch characters such as the popstar Ribbon Girl and robocop-esque Barq & Byte, to the happy go lucky DLC clown, Lola Pop, there are so many unique faces in the roster. Not only is every character wholly original, but they all mesh together to create a cohesive universe of diverse fighters. I’m sad to see the DLC end so soon, especially when the game has so much more room to grow, but I’m very happy with all the new faces introduced into the Nintendo stable.
Favorite Soundtrack- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Runner Up: ARMS


I don’t find video game music to be integral to the overall experience. I can, however, appreciate a good soundtrack, but I’ve always identified more with what I see, than what I hear. However, sometimes the soundtrack complements a game so well that I have stop and just say, wow. That was the case in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. From the natural ambiance that immersed me in exploration, to the mysterious cues that accompany an important moment in the game, to the electric piano medley that kicks up as things get intense, to the moving and serene tune of Tarrey Town, I was constantly blown away by the sound in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Most Creative Indie Game- Snake Pass
Runner Up: Fast RMX


Indie games are a core pillar of the gaming industry, but a majority of them fall into just a few genres. Metroidvania, 2D platformer, or visual novel. For every indie title that tries something new, a score of them fill those three categories. Snake Pass was a total exception. Sure it’s a 3D platformer, but in execution, it is wholly unique. The physics of Noodle the Snake are unlike anything I’ve messed around with in a game, indie or otherwise. Twisting and wrapping Noodle around the environment to hunt for collectibles, as opposed to traditional jumping, completely flipped the genre on its head. Instead of asking myself if I can safely jump over a hazard, I had ask whether or not I could stretch Noodle to the next bamboo post with enough room left to wrap around it. Snake Pass on the whole is a rather middling game, but it’s creative spark is undeniable. I hope this team takes another crack at this concept, and puts these great ideas inside a better project.

Most Creative AAA Game- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Runner Up: Super Mario Odyssey


Creativity can be on the surface, perhaps in a gameplay element such as Super Mario Odyssey’s capture mechanic. That is the type of creativity we immediately recognize. However, upon further thought, the much more influential brand of creativity is systemic. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is by far the most creative AAA game I’ve played this year. The design philosophy is so unique. Every convention of the open-world action-RPG genre is shattered by this game, and in its place is a beautifully simple mode of player exploration and discovery. The game rewards this player engagement with treasure all over Hyrule, and wonderfully complex AI and physics engines which can be used to overcome every challenge thrown at you. It takes a certain boldness to allow the player to climb anywhere, do anything, and make the adventure their very own. On the surface, Breath of the Wild looks very much like many other games, both within its series and the gaming landscape at large. However, underneath is a code teeming with life and genre-twisting design decisions.

Best Boss Fight- Cookatiel (Super Mario Odyssey)
Runner Up: Bowser (Super Mario Odyssey)


Super Mario Odyssey had a host of fantastic capture-based boss fights. The Broodels were a bit of a chore to fight, but every time Mario threw Cappy and then proceeded to throw down with a boss, I knew I was in for a good fight. Cookatiel is not only my favorite boss in Odyssey, but one of my favorite boss fights in all of Mario history. Swimming around  the stew pot, dodging carrot and potato pieces while simultaneously attempting to platform across Cookatiel’s flamethrower to land a solid hit on the bird’s hat-topped head is a thrilling encounter. From every perspective: creativity, difficulty, gameplay, and fun factor, Cookatiel took the cake, or in this case, the stew.

Swear-Worthy Multiplayer- Splatoon 2
Runner Up: Overcooked


I tend to get quite competitive when playing certain multiplayer games. Titles like Smash Bros. and Mario Kart online rarely get my blood boiling, but I can’t say the same about Splatoon 2. As you surely know, I’m incredibly mixed towards Splatoon 2. Yet, my crazed enjoyment of Splatoon 2’s ranked mode is undeniable. All composure is out the window when I sit down for a session of ranked play in Splatoon 2. The matches are just so frenetic and can shift in an instant. You have to be constantly on your toes to come out on top. Whether I’m cursing my teammates, the enemy team, myself, or venting my frustrations upon random objects in the room, it’s just a good thing that no one hears me play.

Best Competitive Local Multiplayer- Battle Mode (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe)
Runner Up: Puyo Puyo Tetris


Mario Kart 8 was one of the best games on Wii U, so it’s no surprise that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the current best competitive local multiplayer experience on Switch. The core racing is just as good as on Wii U, and perhaps even better, with the addition of the double item box and purple sparks. The skill floor has also been raised by the addition of steering assist, which has allowed me to play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with some of my less-experienced friends. However, the Battle Mode is what really cements Mario kart 8 Deluxe as the king of competitive local multiplayer this year. All five modes and (almost) all of the arenas are a blast, and require vastly different strategies. Of the five, Renegade Roundup and Shine Thief are !my favorites, but the other modes aren’t far behind. I would’ve liked just a few more arenas to play in, but what is here is absolutely great. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe isn’t the Mario Kart 9 I’ve been hoping for, but until we get that game, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the reigning champion of local multiplayer on my Switch.

Best Cooperative Local Multiplayer- Overcooked
Runner Up: ARMS


The Switch is home to a host of really great local co-op experiences. In my opinion, Overcooked is by far the strongest of the bunch. This game is an absolute riot, and wholly unique. Hastily dashing around the kitchen, preparing orders and cleaning dishes all the while screaming at your teammates is a hell of a good time. It’s also extremely accessible, and focuses way more on planning and teamwork than mechanical skill, which really levels the playing field for everyone involved making it the perfect game to play with friends of all skill levels. Just because everyone can play, doesn’t mean everyone should. Overcooked inevitably leads to a fair share of heated, and sometimes fiery, argument. But, it also inevitably leads to a ton of laughs as well. It’s all part of Overcooked’s charm.

Best Comeback- Sonic Mania
Runner Up: Metroid: Samus Returns


Sonic the Hedgehog has had a tumultuous history. However, he came back in full force for two whole months… before Sonic Forces destroyed all of Sonic Mania’s momentum. But, no matter how aggressively mediocre Sonic Forces was, nothing can take away from the genius of Sonic Mania. I absolutely loved my time with the game. Presentationally, it looked and sounded fantastic. From the zone themes, to the animations, to the sound effects, to Tee Lopes’s knockout soundtrack, every element was executed perfectly. This was matched by equally great level design and mechanics that had Sonic Mania playing as well as it looked. In my estimation, Sonic Mania is the pinnacle of 2D Sonic gameplay, and the best possible comeback for the Blue Blur.

Most Anticipated 2018 Games- Anthem, Kirby: Star Allies


Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times.....damn it! I just want to play Anthem. EA has proved time and time again that they can’t be trusted, but I’m willing to give them another chance. From the aesthetic to the gameplay, Anthem looks like a sci-fi joy. From the mechs to the lush world, I already love the world that has been established. BioWare has only shown off a painfully small amount of the game, but I cannot wait. Good third-person shooters don’t come around all that often anymore, and this one looks great. While I doubt that Anthem will make its way onto the Switch, one can hope.

On the whole, Nintendo's 2018 is a mystery still. We know of very few titles coming in the new year, but hopefully an upcoming Nintendo Direct (Perhaps on January 11th?) will paint a clearer picture. What we do know is on its way, however, is Kirby Star Allies. When I first saw it, I wasn't particularly excited, as it initially appeared to be just another Kirby game. Then, more details started coming out, revealing the return of animal companions and combination abilities. And, the more I think about it, the more I’m ready for a good 2D platformer. Nintendo hit critical mass within the genre somewhere around 2014, and I’ve played very few since then. I think I’ve taken long enough of a break from platformers to really enjoy this one when it releases. It also looks to be an adventure to take on with my sister, and I’m always looking for a good co-op campaign. Hopefully Nintendo doesn’t wait too long to release this one; my prediction is February.


Game of the Year: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Runner Up: Super Mario Odyssey


First, the runner up, Super Mario Odyssey is pure, unbridled fun. From the moment that Peach is kidnapped, to the humorous conclusion on the moon, this game was a joy to play. I have some serious problems with the post-game, but the main campaign is so, so good. It knows exactly what makes Mario fun, and runs with those fundamentals in an exciting new direction. The platforming is tight, the game looks and sounds fantastic, and the kingdoms are meticulously designed. However, that is what you’d expect to hear when it comes to a brand new 3D Mario adventure. What elevates Odyssey even further into the stratosphere is Cappy. The capture mechanic is a stroke of gameplay genius that never ceased to vary the gameplay, and excite me in the process. From Mario mainstays like the Goomba, to real-life creatures such as a frog, to the brand new enemies like the Pokio, every capture was fun to control and offered something that Mario couldn’t achieve on his own. For as much as I loved playing Super Mario 3D World, I was becoming concerned that the Mario brand as a whole was losing its creative edge. Super Mario Odyssey put my fears to rest, and delivered a fun, fresh experience that I’ll remember for a long time.


There was a time when I thought Super Mario Odyssey was my game of the year….....

But then I returned to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. This game is, without question, a masterpiece. There is so much to say about this game, that I hardly know where to start. Yet, I can pinpoint the exact moment that I knew Breath of the Wild was something special, so I suppose I’ll start there. I got my Switch and Breath of the Wild on launch day. That evening, I finally got to sit down with the game, and by the following morning I was off the Great Plateau. That day, I left on vacation. So, I was experiencing Breath of the Wild only in handheld mode, and completely removed from my gaming friends and the community at large. A couple days later, I got in touch with my friend who had also been playing Breath of the Wild since launch. I have a tendency to stray off the beaten path whenever I have the chance, so when Impa told me to head to Kakariko Village, I took a roundabout path. Exploring up the coast, I found my way wandering through Lurelin Village, completing side quests and shrines all the while. By the time I finally made the left turn inland to Kakariko, I had seen Hateno Village, Lurelin Village, met a Great Fairy, tamed a horse, assembled an armor set, and swore my way through a Major Test of Strength. My friend took the direct path there, but stopped to comb over every inch of the map between the edge of the Plateau and Kakariko Village, discovering every stable, shrine, and monster camp along the way. Afterwards, he headed straight to the divine beasts, and I headed straight to the Castle dungeon to steal the Hylian Shield. That simple phone call with my friend revealed so much about the game’s design philosophy, which is the reason I simply adore this game.


What was so enlightening about this conversation with my friend was that Mr. Aonuma and his team created a game that focuses wholly on player freedom. We took two completely different paths, saw completely different things, but we both had a blast doing it. This isn’t a video game world, this is a world. You’re not gated off from anywhere: at no point will an invisible wall hold you back or will you find an enemy who is insurmountably strong. No matter where you go, no matter how you get there, you’ll find something unique and have a crazy story to tell your friends. No other game has allowed me this sense of total control over my experience, and I love Breath of the Wild for that. But that isn’t the only thing I love about this game.


I love the combat, I love the exploration, I love the music, I love the cooking, I love the hunting, I love the armor collecting, I love the weather system, I love the NPCs, I love the side quests, but above all, I love what it represents for Nintendo. This was Nintendo stepping outside their comfort zone and taking creative risks to modernize one of their tentpole franchises. For so long, Nintendo was in a rut with The Legend of Zelda. While I enjoyed the formula, the series had stagnated. It was time for change, and change Nintendo delivered. Not only did they very successfully shake up The Legend of Zelda, but the whole open-world genre. Before Breath of the Wild, no open-world games ever clicked with me. Not only that, but I rarely spend dozens of hours with single-player games. I love the legend of Zelda, but I didn’t expect this game to click with me the way that it did: it was, after all, a vast open-world game that demanded dozens of hours to complete. But now, nine months out from launch I’ve spent over eighty hours with the game, and I can’t wait to spend eighty more exploring the vast expanses of Hyrule.

2017 was a good year for video games. I’d contest the notion that this is one of the best years in all of gaming, simply because for every phenomenal game, there were two marred by controversy or that were flat out mediocre. But, when things were good, they were really good, especially on the Nintendo Switch. In fact, my PS4 was mostly ignored this year, save for a few key titles. If we were to drill only into the Nintendo side of the equation, I really couldn’t be more pleased with my time on Switch thus far. Yes, I still feel as though the first-party library is lacking- to an extent, simply due to the over reliance on ports. However, when you factor Indie and third-party support into the equation, it has been a really knock-out year on Switch.

Nonetheless, I’m even more excited for 2018. Now that the Switch has gotten off the ground, I feel that Nintendo can focus all their efforts on releasing all-new, quality content and put ports in the rear view mirror. Consequently, with so many developers finishing 3DS projects and moving over to Switch, I think we could see a host of really unique and interesting projects releasing this year. Hopefully, alongside some heavy hitters like a new Animal Crossing and a new Super Mario Maker. Perhaps even Smash Bros? Only time will tell. Here’s to 2017, and to all the fun games we’ll have to play in the new year.



Comments