My Top 15 Nintendo Games of All Time

Fifteen isn't enough!

       This blog post marks my fiftieth article here on Penguins With Capes, and I had to do something special to celebrate. So, in honor of this occasion, let’s take a few minutes to discuss my top fifteen favorite Nintendo games of all time. This was a particularly hard list to make, as I just have so many favorites. But I only have fifteen slots available, so some tough choices had to me made. Chances are, if you love a Nintendo game, I probably do too. However, while I eventually was able to pare this list down to fifteen, I couldn’t bring myself to rank these games. On any given day, I could like one more than another. But, enough with the introductions, let’s take a look my fifteen favorite Nintendo games of all time.

WarioWare D.I.Y

Starting off with an odd one, Warioware D.I.Y is easily one of my favorite Nintendo DS games. The hook here is the ability to create your own micro-games and share them online to be played by other people. In a sense, this game was Super Mario Maker, before Super Mario Maker existed. Creating my own Micro-games was a lot of fun, even though in hindsight, all of my games were pretty terrible. The tools were user-friendly and simple, but deep enough to allow for a good degree of creativity. However, what really makes WarioWare D.I.Y special for me was the ability to play other user’s micro-games, particularly those created by the Nintendo Power staff. Nintendo Power was a very important magazine in my life, and one that I pored over every month. Without it, I doubt I’d have the same love and appreciation for Nintendo and their history that I do today. So, being able to play micro-games created by the editorial team, the same team that greatly influenced my own writing, was a lot of fun and very special.

Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story

My disdain for turn-based RPGs isn’t a secret, and something that I remind my gaming friends of quite often. However, the Mario & Luigi games are a key exception. Particularly Bowser’s Inside Story, which is by far my favorite. It has one of the wierdest, but most enjoyable, setups for any Mario game. Essentially, Mario and Luigi get sucked, literally, inside Bowser, and have to explore the big bruiser’s innards and assist him from within. In this game, Mario, Luigi, and Bowser all have to work together to defeat Fawful and his evil plan. The story is as crazy as you’d expect, but that isn’t what makes this game stand out in my eyes. It’s the dynamic between playing as Bowser and playing as the Mario Bros. While you explore the overworld as Bowser, you’ll sometimes encounter areas and enemies insurmountable by the Koopa King himself. So, you’d switch to Mario & Luigi, explore Bowser’s innards, and power him up. In one instance, Bowser has to breathe fire to progress. But, for some reason, it isn’t working. So, our plucky Italian heroes traverse to Bowser’s windpipe, where they discover that a monster is living there. After defeating it in battle, the chute is cleared and Bowser can breathe fire again. It’s a fantastic dynamic that gets used very cleverly throughout the adventure. Above all, Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story is just that: clever. It’s quirky, weird, and creative in all the best ways, and I love the game for that.

Metroid: Zero Mission

I love sci-fi. I love Nintendo. But, I can’t seem to love Metroid. The series as a whole just doesn’t click with me. That is, with the exception of Metroid: Zero Mission. It strikes just the right balance of exploration, combat, and puzzle-solving. And, it never felt too long in the tooth, as I feel some other Metroid games do. Above all, it has excellent atmosphere. From the eerie music, to the moody locales, Zero Mission nails its setting. I became immersed in this game unlike any other. I felt like Samus, unaware and outmatched, relying on my wits (and an occasional walkthrough) to survive. There is no better feeling than the ah-ha moment of opening up a new path, or the relief that accompanies the triumph over a boss that seemed insurmountable. Metroid: Zero Mission is the pinnacle of the Metroid series, and it never failed to surprise and engage me during my playthrough.

Mario Tennis

The Nintendo 64 is one of my favorite systems. Its library of games features some of the most innovative and groundbreaking Nintendo games of all time. However, many of its titles show their age, and have been superseded by newer entries in their respective franchises. Yet, Mario Tennis does not fit that mold. To this day, it is not only my favorite Mario Tennis game, but my favorite Mario sports game, period. It is far less complex or content-packed than, say, Mario Power Tennis, but what it lacks in features, it makes up for in sheer fun factor. To this day, my sister and I return to this one quite often for heated doubles and singles matches. While there is a skill disparity between the two of us, Mario Tennis’s simplicity heightens its accessibility. While later Mario Sports games put a heavier emphasis on wacky gimmicks and deeper mechanics, Mario Tennis on the N64 narrows its focus onto two main elements: Mario, and tennis. While some people say its too simple, I think Mario Tennis prioritizes the actual sport, without needlessly conflating it with other elements. Hopefully, Mario Tennis Aces can recapture my love of the N64 original this Spring.

Kirby Superstar Ultra

I’ve always enjoyed Kirby games. They're fun, lighthearted platformers that never fail to provide solid platforming gameplay. However, Kirby Superstar Ultra goes above and beyond, offering so many diverse and exciting challenges to take on. The title is comprised of fifteen sub-games, that all feel fleshed out and unique. From simple mini-games like Kirby on the Draw, to the typical platforming fun of Dynablade, to the exploration heavy Great Cave Offensive, there is so much to see and do in Superstar Ultra. My favorite sub-game is by far Revenge of Meta Knight. It played out a lot like a Kirby action movie; Kirby had to infiltrate and destroy Meta Knight’s flagship Halberd, before taking on the swordsman himself and escaping as the Halberd implodes. It’s an epic tale that is actually quite badass, a feeling no Kirby before or since has captured. Superstar Ultra’s sheer variety and atypical Kirby gameplay has really stuck with me, and it is the title I measure all of the pink puffball’s adventures against.

Pokemon Y

I don’t think I can accurately capture how excited I was for the release of Pokemon Y. When I finally got it, the game consumed me in a way no other Pokemon game has. I put in hundreds of hours battling, raising Pokemon, and trading with my friends. What really stands out about my time with Pokemon Y, however, is my quest to get a full 719 Pokemon Pokedex. It took the better part of my summer, but my friend Zak and I slaved away and finally got our complete ‘Dexes, and the accompanying Shiny Charm. We’d spend dozens hunting for shiny Pokemon, and for a while, it was the only game we played. Shiny hunt, battle, trade, repeat. I’d fallen out of sync with Pokemon as of late, and I doubt I’ll ever be able to recapture my time playing Pokemon Y, but I’m hoping that the Pokemon Switch title can reel me back in.

Fire Emblem: Awakening

Talk about an unlikely match. Fire Emblem was a series that I was completely oblivious to, even with its heavy presence in Super Smash Bros. I just never had any interest in, or knowledge of, the tactical RPG franchise that so many held near and dear. That is, until I downloaded the Fire Emblem: Awakening demo one day. I was hooked. Soon enough, I had the full game in my hands, and I couldn’t put it down. To this day, I’ve beaten the game at least five times. I absolutely love the strategic mindset I have to be in to succeed in the game. Permadeath is such an interesting gameplay mechanic, and I’ve never even once considered turning it off. The thrill of sending your characters into battle, not knowing if they’ll live or die, is unlike anything else I’ve experienced in a game, and it constantly kept me on my toes. The excitement when a carefully planned attack works out. The relief when a character narrowly avoids death. The crushing feeling of watching a character die. Fire Emblem is truly a special series, and I can’t wait to dive into the Switch iteration later this year.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the most recent entry to my list, but it is totally deserving of its position. This is truly one of the finest games Nintendo has ever made. I’ve gushed about this game plenty in other posts, but I still have more to say. Breath of the Wild is so vast, so engrossing that there is always something more to talk about, and something else to praise. Perhaps the most praiseworthy element of this game is not anything the game particularly does, but what it evokes: a sense of adventure. The total lack of handholding in Breath of the Wild leads to an incredible sense of self-discovery and trepidation. I never quite knew what would be over the next mountain, but that just emboldened me to find out. Mr. Aonuma and his team encourage this adventurous spirit by always rewarding your curiosity, whether that is with a hidden town, weapon, treasure chest, shine, Korok, or simple NPC interaction. I’ve loved every minute I’ve spent exploring Hyrule, but I have only scratched the surface. I look forward to continually revisiting this wonderful world and finding even more surprises.

Splatoon

Just when I thought that I’d seen everything shooters had to offer, Nintendo came and turned the genre on its head; with a new IP nonetheless. Splatoon is one of the most innovative and exciting games Nintendo has ever released. Yes, Splatoon’s gameplay is great. Its movement is great. Its map design is great. Its weapon selection is great. But, what’s really great, is its sense of style. Inkopolis and its inhabitants are fantastically weird. All their different races, from the Inklings, the Octarians, and everything in between, they are unique and stand out from everything else Nintendo has come up with. Then, compound that with the rocking music and chic fashion sense, and you get a game that is as fun to look at, as it is to play. The Wii U had a rocky life, but there is no question that Nintendo truly outdid themselves with Splatoon.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Much like Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing was not even on my radar before its 3DS outing. Tom Nook & Co. completely evaded me on Wii and DS, which is a shame. But, what’s important is that I finally got exposed to Animal Crossing, and man, I’m happy I was. It’s hard to nail down why Animal Crossing is so awesome in just one paragraph. But, if I had to drill into the main reason that it is special to me, it is definitely the game’s scalability. If I’ve had a long day, I can visit my town and passively talk to villagers, check the shops, maybe even reel in a fish. But, if I’m feeling more ambitious, I can take matters into my own hands and get down to business improving my town. I can lay paths. Set up Public Works Projects. Plant flowers and trees. Redesign my house. Complete errands for my villagers. Even grind for bells on the island. No matter what you’re in the mood to do, Animal Crossing: New Leaf has you covered. It is a crime that we’ve yet to see a new, proper Animal Crossing title since New Leaf, and I hope that gets rectified soon.

Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo Wii U

I love Super Smash Bros., and while I have more nostalgia for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the Wii U iteration is by far my favorite. This is a game that I can always return to and have just as much fun as when I booted it up for the first time back in 2014. There are so many options and game modes, that it is staggering. If I’m feeling serious, I can dig into a bit of Omega-Stage no-items play. Or, I can slug it out alongside my sister in chaotic, 2v2 matches. Or, I can spend some time collecting trophies. Or, I can go for some serious single player content in Classic or All-Star mode. Or, well, you get the idea. The wealth of content in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Wii U is staggering. Every time I play this game, I leave with a smile on my face. It is just plain fun, and at the end of the day, that’s what a game should be.

Super Mario Galaxy

Everyone has a certain amount of nostalgia for their first 3D Mario game. I first played Super Mario 64 on Virtual Console. Then, Super Mario Sunshine through the Wii’s backwards compatibility. But, Super Mario Galaxy will forever be “my” 3D Mario. I have so many fond memories of playing this game when I was younger; from staying up late to conquer the Good Egg Galaxy, to exploring the Beach Bowl Galaxy, to flying around the Comet Observatory. However, it isn’t simply nostalgia talking as I revisited it this past summer, in anticipation for Super Mario Odyssey’s release. This game is truly fantastic, and in a word, sweeping. The music is bold and orchestral, the galaxy designs are grand and diverse, and Super Mario Galaxy tells a story on an unparalleled scale. Mario’s other 3D outings are all great, but Super Mario Galaxy stands head and shoulders above the rest.

Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

I tend to only notice a game’s sound and music when it is really good. Otherwise, it just flies below my radar. Let’s just say I have an acute knowledge of much of this game’s audio. From the main theme, to the character select, to Mushroom Bridge, to Yoshi’s Circuit. The music is fantastic, much like the racetracks themselves. While the track number pales in comparison to later entries such as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, each of Double Dash’s 16 tracks is wholly unique and well designed. This limited number of tracks is not a detriment to the game’s replayability because of the unique two-character driving mechanic. One steers, and the other hangs off the back throwing items and hitting other racers. Due to the fact that each character has exclusive items, different characters lend themselves to different racing styles. It’s a very clever way to add depth to the game, and my favorite gimmick in the whole Mario Kart series. While the mechanics are refined to a point in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, my second favorite in the series, I think that Double Dash just has a certain charm that cannot be overlooked.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

I believe that The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is the quintessential Nintendo game. While the Gamecube original is great, the HD remake is even better, and dare I say it, near perfection. It embodies all the qualities of a great Nintendo game, full of charm, innovative gameplay, orchestral music, quirky characters, and an overall emphasis on fun. The Wind Waker takes Link on an unforgettable journey across The Great Sea, visiting diverse locations, solving intricate puzzles, and vanquishing evil where it stands; all with Nintendo polish and flair. I love everything about this game, from the jaw-dropping cell-shaded art style, to the improved combat, to the heartfelt story, the Zelda team nailed every aspect. From the earliest moments on Outset Island, all the way to the final clash with Ganondorf, The Wind Waker is a treasure.

Star Fox 64 3D

Nintendo’s space odyssey starring Fox McCloud and his band of rough and tumble wingmen perfectly encapsulates why I love Nintendo. The Star Fox cast is fun, zany, and timeless. These characters are so iconic and so uniquely Nintendo not only by design, but in terms of their mannerisms as well. Rivaling my love of the aesthetic of the game, is my love of its gameplay. This franchise has had a rocky life, with many of its better games being relegated to old hardware, and a string of all right to poor sequels in recent years. Nintendo keeps trying to switch up the Star Fox formula, which is surprising because, much like a good charge shot, Star Fox 64’s gameplay is a direct hit. It’s fast-paced, reflex-based fare that tests your skills on the fly, literally. Barrel-rolling your way through tense aerial combat all the while racking up score is a perfect gameplay loop that has me coming back to this title all the time. I love games that put an emphasis on gameplay and creativity, and Star Fox 64 excels on both fronts.

       And there you have it, my fifteen favorite Nintendo games. What stands out the most about the list, in my opinion, is how diverse these fifteen games are. It truly goes to show how creative and nimble Nintendo’s developers are. You really cannot put them in just one box. From platformers, to RPGs, to racers, to shooters, and everything in between, chances are Nintendo has released a few fantastic games in the genre. However, regardless of what type of game they’re making, you can almost always count on them to deliver creativity and fun. Sure, Nintendo has had its fair share of misses over the years, but when you look at its library as a whole, there are so many varied, fantastic experiences that you can’t help but fall in love with many of them. So thank you to Nintendo for making all these great games, and thank you for checking out Penguins With Capes each week, and here’s to fifty more blog posts to come.

Comments