Six Nintendo Franchises I've Missed the Boat On

All Aboard!

I’ve played some games from nearly every Nintendo franchise. From mainstream obsessions like Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon, to the likes Kirby, Animal Crossing, and Smash Bros, to underappreciated titles such as Kid Icarus, WarioWare, and Star Fox, I’ve found enjoyment in them all. That’s only a handful of examples in a huge catalog of software, there’s still Splatoon, Mario & Luigi, Donkey Kong Country, and many, many more. However, there are a few series that have simply flown under my radar. In some cases, I’ve tried and failed to get into these games, and in others I’ve skipped them entirely. So, today let’s explore the Nintendo franchises I’ve missed the boat on.

If I had written about this topic earlier this year, I would have included the whole Metroid franchise. However, I’ve gone back and played several of the 2D titles. In fact, since my piece in July (I Love and Hate Metroid) I think I would classify my feelings towards 2D Metroid as a straight out love. Yet, I cannot say the same for Metroid Prime. I’ve tried to get into both one and three with little success. I've found the pace a bit too plodding, and the combat too stiff. I have this urge to try again considering how much I love the 2D games, and since there is not much happening until Odyssey, now might be a perfect time.

I think Mario sports games are quite good. Mario Tennis N64 and Mario Super Sluggers are two awesome games, and I’ve dabbled in Mario’s other sports as well. I’ve never even tried Strikers though. Many fans herald the Strikers games as some of the best Mario Sports titles, so I’d like to try them out. I’ve never been a big soccer fan, which is probably why I’ve skipped out on these games, but I’d be willing to give it a shot. They seem so action packed, and have a great visual identity. Perhaps if Mario Strikers returns on the Nintendo Switch, I’ll make it out to the field. If it doesn't, I might just have to boot up the old Gamecube.

I’ll be honest, I really don’t have much intention of trying out Pilotwings. The concept has never interested me; flying around in different vehicles to complete challenges just doesn’t sound like my thing. However, considering there are three Pilotwings games, I figured it would be worth a mention. Someone must be enjoying these games, or I doubt we would've gotten much farther than the SNES entry. Pilotwings is a rare exception where I just don’t find the game that compelling. Who really knows though; the Switch has me buying and enjoying games I wouldn’t have on other consoles, so there's always a chance. If we don't get a new entry, I find it unlikely that I'll be visiting the old games.

Punch-Out!! seems like a franchise right up my alley; it’s a straight out gameplay experience which favors skill and reflexes. On top of that, it features some downright iconic character designs. Still, something about the NES original and Super Punch-Out!! don’t speak to me. On occasion, I’ll hop over to the virtual console with the intention of buying these games, but I’ll always stop myself. However, the Wii reboot of the series does pique my interest. So much so that I've actually picked up the Wii version just this week. I haven't spent enough time with it to say anything conclusive, but this far, it seems like I've been missing out.  

Outside of Pokemon and Fire Emblem, I really don’t like RPGs. They’re too long, very slow paced, and turn based combat doesn’t speak to me for the most part. So, naturally I’ve never gotten into Earthbound. This series has a large cult following, and several of my gamer friends adore these titles. I’ll concede that their style is excellent and it eschews the traditional RPG experience, but I still can’t bring myself to get invested in the game. I just don’t connect with the gameplay, and considering I hold that above every other element of a game, I doubt I’ll try it out anytime soon.

Perhaps the biggest hole in my Nintendo catalogue is the F-Zero series. Like clockwork, at each direct and E3 conference fans pine for a new entry in the fanchise. Believe it or not, I’ve never even tried an F-Zero game. My only exposure to the series has been through the Mario Kart 8 DLC. I’m not that much of a racing fan outside of Mario Kart, but based on the way everyone talks about these games, I want to give them a shot. My biggest problem with F-Zero is the aesthetic. Everything just looks a bit bland. That extends to the gameplay as well because it seems like basic fast-paced racing to me. Still, if F-Zero really is just basic racing, I doubt the community would fawn over the series the way it does. When I get my hands on the SNES classic, I’ll finally have no excuse not to try out F-Zero. Still, it seems that the true thrill is in the Gamecube entry, F-Zero GX. If the Switch does get Gamecube Virtual Console support, fingers crossed, I'll certainly try GX out.

I do feel like I’ve missed out on these games, but it also illustrates one of Nintendo’s greatest strengths. Nintendo has accrued such an extensive batch of IP that even a hardcore Nintendo fan like me cannot get to them all. A Nintendo game that doesn’t appeal to me is right up the alley of someone else. Think about Microsoft’s exclusives for example- Halo, Forza, Gears of War, they all fit the same archetype. If one doesn’t appeal to you, the chances are the others won’t either. However, when you look at the countless franchises Nintendo has, everyone can find something they like. Whether or not I ever touch F-Zero, I know scores of people love that game, and have a laundry list of missed franchises that I hold near and dear to my heart.




Comments