Returning to My 3DS: Hey! Pikmin

Switching things up

With Metroid: Samus Returns renewing my interest in the 3DS, I wanted to check out some releases that I’ve missed since the Switch's launch. In this mini-series, I want to explore some of the 3DS games that looked promising, but were overshadowed by the Switch. Hey! Pikmin Seemed like a divisive release this July, with little to no fanfare post launch. Considering there’s never been a handheld Pikmin title, and no Pikmin title at all since 2013, I thought people would be more interested in this game. So, I decided I’d check out the demo and find out for myself what’s going on. Now, I’ve never been a huge Pikmin fan, but Hey! Pikmin seemed to have fun gameplay. After playing the demo, my biggest takeaway was that I wanted to play more "real" Pikmin games. I played the original back many years ago, but never finished it. So, I restarted the game today and I’m really enjoying it. The game has a ton of charm and is very strategic; I’m glad to be giving this franchise the time of day. It has the potential to join my top five Nintendo franchises, but I’m only about two hours into Pikmin 1. In terms of Hey! Pikmin itself, the game is solid. It has the same charm that the main games have, and the gameplay, while simple, is enjoyable enough.

Hey! Pikmin walks the line between realistic and cartoon
graphics quite well
Graphically, I think Hey! Pikmin looks pretty good. The realistic style featured in the core titles has been scaled back to be a bit more cartoonish, but the game still looks good. The models are pretty simplistic, but the environments are vibrant and detailed. In terms of animations, they are very expressive and show great personality. While Pikmin 1 is pretty atmospheric and mysterious, this game is a bit more lighthearted and fun. That isn’t a bad thing, but something to keep in mind nonetheless. One really odd note is that Hey! Pikmin has absolutely no 3D functionality. It isn’t a huge deal because most action occurs on the touch screen, but it is worth pointing out. Overall though, the game has a solid presentation.

In the demo, I never found the puzzles very hard
In terms of gameplay, Hey! Pikmin focuses much more on simple puzzle solving and exploration than resource management and multi-tasking. In the core series, Olimar commands the Pikmin to do complex tasks, for example ordering them to split up and have half fight a bulborb while the other half carries an energy pellet to their ship, the Onion. Here in Hey! Pikmin, Olimar still commands the Pikmin, but will do things such as throw them onto a platform to collect pieces of a bridge, or send them to break through walls. Collecting the optional treasures though is what makes Hey! Pikmin quite interesting.

Collecting treasures such as this is a lot of fun, and the best
part of Hey! Pikmin
Similar to New Super Mario Bros. completing the levels isn’t necessarily the hard part of the game. It’s the side objectives that make it challenging. Here, you’ll find real world items ranging from yo-yos to a cart of The Legend of Zelda scattered throughout the levels to collect. Finding these can require quite a bit of exploration, and actually reaching them can be quite puzzling. This was the most compelling part of the gameplay for me. Level 3-A was featured in the demo, and had some deviously hidden treasures that I couldn’t collect on my first go. This aspect of the game could really help increase playtime and difficulty, as simply finishing the levels, at least in the demo, were a breeze. Also, it is worth pointing out that some puzzles that happened in the demo unfolded at a snail’s pace. The Pikmin move quite methodically, which can lead to times where I was just standing around waiting for them to construct a bridge. It wasn’t a problem throughout, but I did notice it at times.

Metroid: Samus Returns is clearly the best 3DS game this year
If you’ve also come back to 3DS and are interested in Hey! Pikmin, from my time with the demo, I’d say to go for it. If you have only a passing curiosity in the game as I do, well, there’s no harm in waiting for a sale. I certainly see why this game wasn't met with much enthusiasm. It's pretty basic and doesn't quite capture what makes Pikmin special. As a spin-off though, I do think there is fun to be had here. Still, I didn’t end the demo and feel the need to rush to the eShop and buy the game. It is a fun experience that I think will thrive for me in short bursts. As of now, Metroid: Samus Returns is the extent of my 3DS purchases in 2017, but at a lower price later this year, there will be room for Hey! Pikmin in my library.

Comments