Nintendo @ E3 2017: My Predictions!




Sorry to Keep you Waiting!

2015's Puppets were odd, but
a lot of fun
It’s almost time for E3 once again, and with it comes a flood of predictions. This year, I want to throw my hat in the ring, and share my predictions for Nintendo’s show. This is Nintendo’s big chance to take the lessons learned for their past two E3 shows and apply them to their upcoming slate of games. Last year was very disappointing. I was mesmerized by the Breath of the Wild footage, but the lack of games and a true conference made their showing very dull. What wasn’t dull however, was their actual booth. From all the pictures I saw of the show floor, it looked like Nintendo truly turned the show floor into Hyrule. The quality of their space matched that of Disneyland, and I hope they continue their decoration this year. 2015’s show was also disappointing, but for a completely different reason. The lack of exciting titles killed the excitement for me, but the actual presentation was very humorous. I hope that Nintendo embraces the quirky appearance of 2015’s show and repeats that this year. Perhaps they don’t need to go full Muppet but I can’t say I would be disappointed if they broke out the puppets for this show too. Of course, aesthetics aren’t the focus of E3; it’s the games.

A remake of this game wouldn't be
that exciting, but if Nintendo added
extra content I might pick it up
Let’s begin with the 3DS, which I feel will have a very limited presence during the show. It is pretty obvious that there will be a short sizzle reel with announced games; the likes of Hey, Pikmin! and Miitopia, for example. Still, with the New 2DS XL launching this year, I think Nintendo has a few surprises to show. It has been floating around the rumor mill for quite some time that Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is being remade for 3DS. I think E3 is the time to pull back the curtain on this title. A game that would be a hair more exciting for the 3DS would be Pokemon Stars. Many people think that Pokemon Stars is a Switch title, but I really don’t see that happening. Take, for example, the fifth generation of Pokemon games. Pokemon Black and White 2 launched a year after the 3DS, but released on the DS. Game Freak has never been quick to put Pokemon onto new hardware. Considering there is a new iteration of 3DS hardware launching, Nintendo would want a heavy hitter to push the systems. Miitopia looks like quirky fun, but quirky fun doesn’t appeal to the mainstream like Pokemon does. Besides, Super Mario Odyssey can carry the Switch’s holiday season without Stars.

This game is most likely real, but I do not think it is coming to Switch

Hopefully Splatoon 2
gets a new trailer at E3
Speaking of Super Mario Odyssey, it is time to move onto the Nintendo Switch. I think Odyssey and Fire Emblem Warriors will both see extended trailers and gameplay. ARMS will also see a short launch trailer considering its release at the end of E3. Also, considering I can barely remember that Splatoon 2 is coming out this year, I think Nintendo will show more gameplay alongside a trailer as well. Splatoon 2 has the potential to be a big hit this summer, but it looks very derivative. One final marketing push could help this game stick in the minds of Nintendo fans who have already sunk a hundred hours into the first game, like myself. While that is a pretty good line-up for the rest of the year, depending on where Fire Emblem Warriors lands, we could be looking at one to two months without a first party release. I think that we’re in for one imminent surprise, and that will be the next Animal Crossing title.

Animal Crossing Switch is the game I most want to be announced at E3

This would be a fantastic idea
Let’s take a quick trip back to Nintendo’s E3 2015 show. I was watching along live, on the phone with my good friend. We were both still in the trenches with Animal Crossing New Leaf and were anxiously awaiting a Wii U sequel. I can remember the excitement when Isabelle stepped out of the train station, then the crushing defeat when she stepped onto a gameboard. To this day, I refuse to believe that Nintendo created all of those crisp, HD assets for Animal Crossing, only to make a Miiverse app and a party game. Animal Crossing is the type of game that appeals to both the hardcore as well as the mainstream market. Besides Pokemon, it is fair to say that Animal Crossing was one of the most popular franchises on the 3DS. It would be very surprising if Nintendo did not ride the wave of New Leaf’s success, and considering it has been four years since the North American launch, it is time for a sequel. Now would be an especially good time to launch because of the multitude of holidays this fall which would work well with Animal Crossing’s real-time gameplay. If Animal Crossing joined the fall slate, we would be looking at a full 2017.

With the Wii U, there was always an element of the unknown. We would get a game launch then go several months with Nintendo being radio silent. It is important that Nintendo keeps us in the loop with a roadmap of things to come. We already know that Fire Emblem will come to Switch next year, but I want to know more than just that. Two 2018 Switch seem very likely to appear at E3, and both have been talked about in official, and unofficial, channels.

I've never been a big fan of Pikmin, but a Switch title might just convince me

This is a spin-off, not Pikmin 4

The first is Pikmin 4. I do not think that Hey, Pikmin! is the fourth game in the series, simply because this is a spin-off game developed by a different team. I think that since Mr. Miyamoto talked about Pikmin 4 two years ago, they have been hard at work moving Pikmin 4 off the Wii U,and onto the Switch. Considering that Pikmin 3 launched in 2013 on the Wii U, five years seems like enough time to make another entry in the series. While this game has been officially talked about, another title has only been rumored, but seems like a shoe-in for this year’s show.


It's too bad this leak turned out to be fake, these screens
look very good
Even though last week’s Smash Bros leaked images turned out to be fake, I still believe that Super Smash Bros Switch is coming, and will launch in 2018. Even before TheBitBlock’s fake leak, insiders have been talking about this game’s existence, and it would make perfect sense. Of all the Wii U titles to get updated ports, Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros Wii U made the most sense.  Smash Bros Switch could fold in the content from both the Wii U and 3DS versions to create a full package. With added characters and stages, this could feel like a brand new game, to a larger extent than Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I doubt it would take Sakurai and his team too long to port this game over and add new content, but with so many evergreen titles already coming this year, I think Smash makes more sense for 2018.

I am currently playing Prime 3, and
I would like a new one on Switch
My next prediction is Metroid Prime. I think that Nintendo has kept fans on the hook long enough, and this year seems like a great time to announce Metroid. I think that there will be a short teaser of Metroid Prime 4 with a tentative name and 2018 launch date. The assurance that Metroid is coming would be enough for the fans, and it would set Nintendo up with a huge franchise to revitalize come next year. Some people would prefer a new 2D Metroid, but I think that is unlikely. Metroid Prime could show off the graphical power of the Switch, entice a more mature audience, and prove HD Rumble’s potential. A 2D Metroid is not nearly as big as a Prime game, and the ceiling for new ideas in the genre has already been met in my eyes. There is much more that Nintendo could do with a Prime title. There are not nearly as many first person exploration games as there are “Metroidvania” games, so Nintendo could provide a fresh experience. This would make a packed show, but I think there is more that Nintendo will announce.

If the leak is real, COD WWII would
be a big get for the Switch
It is very important that Nintendo rebuilds their broken bridges with third parties. One way to rebuild that trust is to get Switch versions of AAA third party titles alongside the PS4 and Xbox One editions. One such game is Call of Duty: WWII. As far as FPS games go, I’ll always prefer the likes of Battlefield, Overwatch, and Destiny. However, getting Call of Duty back on Nintendo platforms is very important. With the rumor of WWII coming to Switch, not only do I think it is likely to come, I think Nintendo will want to show it off on the biggest gaming stage in the world. I also think they’ll put together a short sizzle reel of upcoming third party games like Monster Hunter XX, Skyrim, Sonic Mania/Forces, and Shin Megami Tensei (whatever that is). Nintendo seems committed to fixing their mistakes with the Wii U, and this would be a good first step.

I've never been interested in this series, but I know a lot of
people are, and this seems like the perfect time for Nintendo
to finally release this game
I've still got one final prediction, and it is my most unlikely of all. I think that Mother 3 will get a digital only release on Switch directly following the presentation. I do not think it will be a Virtual Console title, considering both the translation necessary and the fan desire for the title. If I am correct, Mother 3 would launch at 14.99 on the eShop. Just a translated version, with different hand-drawn borders to fill the screen around the gameplay. Similar to how the Super Gameboy had borders for its games. I think the fans have waited long enough, and Nintendo does like to release surprises directly following their shows.

Star Fox Zero was fun, but nowhere near as good as 64
To round out this post, I want to talk about my E3 hopes. These games have a shot at being announced, but they probably won’t. Still, I would be extremely excited if they were. Right at the top of the list is a new Star Fox game. The franchise deserves better than Zero. While I still really enjoyed my time with that title, it is no Star Fox 64. Super Mario Odyssey is returning Mario to his N64 roots, and I want Star Fox to do the same. With the proximity to Zero's release and its poor reception, I would find it unlikely to see a follow-up so soon. However, Star Fox 64 is my favorite Nintendo game, and I would really like it to get a worthy sequel sometime soon.

Yooka-Laylee turned into one big disappointment, but it got the ball rolling. I really want to see the return of true 3D platformers. Super Mario Odyssey is a great first step, but I want to see Nintendo go beyond that. I want a 3D Kirby collect-a-thon. Think Kirby Superstar’s The Great Cave Offensive meets Banjo-Kazooie. Kirby games are getting a bit stale, and this would be a nice way to refresh the franchise. Kirby's gameplay style would be well suited to this kind of adventure, and we have never seen a true 3D platformer in this series. Imagine flapping around Green Greens, sucking up enemies and collecting trinkets in a 3D environment. Personally, this would be the perfect way to renew my interest in this series.

I would really prefer that this
 game never comes out

Aaand, that’s that! In previous years, a predictions list like this would seem far too hopeful to be true. This year though, I have full confidence that Nintendo will show us a full slate of upcoming games.There are a few notable exceptions to my list, the first being Virtual Console. Considering how Nintendo laid out their online service last week, I think the Virtual Console will be unveiled in a similar way. Another would be Mario X Rabbids Kingdom Battle, but hopefully if I don’t talk about that game it will go away. Whatever happens though, I will for sure be tuning in June 13th to see for myself.


Comments