My Top 3 ARMS Characters!


New IP, New Faces

I was totally wrong about ARMS. When I saw the game during the direct back in April, I was worried it would disappoint. The actual fighting looked slow, and the mechanics looked shallow. After playing two Global Testpunch sessions, I wasn’t any more impressed. Still, if Splatoon was any indication, Nintendo knows how to launch new IP. So, I jumped in regardless. And now, after less than ten hours of gameplay, I'm already hooked. Using button controls and my brand new Switch Pro Controller, I’m totally equipped to play. This setup is a huge improvement over the motion controls I used during the Testpunch. With a better handle of the mechanics, I’m having a great time throwing down in ARMS. However, I’m pretty terrible at the game. On one hand it’s refreshing to have a brand new experience that challenges me to learn its systems. On the other, it’s a bit infuriating being beaten over and over. Still, I’m excited to play more, and grow my skill set. With that said, it doesn’t take a high skill level to appreciate the excellent aesthetic of ARMS. The cast of characters is by far the game’s strong suit. So, without further ado, let’s count down my top 3 characters thus far.

3. Spring Man

Just as iconic as the inklings, Spring Man is another unforgettable mascot for Nintendo. From his bright blue hair swirl, to his cocky bob back and forth, he feels like a more eccentric Little Mac. Positioning him as the icon of ARMS was a great idea. When I’m using him alongside my sister’s Ribbon Girl, I like to use one Trishot, and one Toaster for a nice combo of focused attack, and spread damage. He is also perhaps the easiest character to pick-up, so for new ARMS players, this is a good place to start.

Spring Man's design is basic, but very effective

2. Kid Cobra

Going into the full game, Kid Cobra was the character I was most excited to try out. His design was very unique, and it captivated me right away. After trying him out, I’m not disappointed. His animations are very fluid and quick. He has a high mobility which gives me a lot of options for getting around the field. Of all the characters, Kid Cobra has the best movement. When I play as him, I like to use a combo of the Slapamander, and the Hydra. This pair gives me good power, but also keeps me mobile. Overall, Kid Cobra is awesome, and was just edged out by number one.

Kid Cobra's color palate really pops and helps give him his identity,
and the fact that he's a snake helps too


Honorable Mention: Master Mummy

In terms of design, I’m not a big fan of Master Mummy. He seems a little plain, and his name is equally uninspired. However, his play style is a lot of fun.I have to be much more methodical when using him. Master Mummy is able to heal 10p of health per second while shielding. So, I keep my distance, launching an arm from across the map, as I slip in a bit of healing every time my enemy is off balance. For spacing, I usually use Revolver and the Phoenix to force my opponent away.

Master Mummy's character ability makes him one of the most unique
fighters on the roster

1. Byte & Barq

Perhaps the most unique character in the roster, Byte & Barq are not only my favorite designed characters, but they have my favorite play style as well. Having a little AI dog who assists you in battle is very helpful. Sometimes he’ll hit your enemy as they’re stunned when you were setting up a big hit, which is frustrating. But when Barq saves you from a grab, or lands a perfect hit to end an enemy combo, he quickly becomes a fantastic asset. Barq isn’t the only one who comes out swinging; Byte has all the tools to clear the field. Equipping him with electric arms, such as the Revolver or the Seekies, as I do, gives me many options to approach the fight. Do I fall back and try to stun my opponent as Barq jabs him across the arena? Or to I jump up onto Barq for the high ground and deliver the stun before following up with a grab? These arms and Barq give this pair many different options for combat, and that’s why Byte & Barq are my favorite characters in ARMS.




Comments