First Impressions: Horizon Zero Dawn




Horizon Zero Dawn is really a mixed bag. It pains me to say that, as it is my most anticipated of Sony’s first party slate. From its initial announcement I have been intrigued. It should be noted however, that I am not that big into open world games, yet I felt that Horizon still would have been able to captivate me with its game play and world building. It definitely succeeds in that department, but it hampered by many glaring issues. I simply cannot understand the glowing praise this game has gotten when my first three hours have been very uneven.

However, let’s start with the positives. The combat in this game is outstanding and a real example of how to do combat in an open-world. Each encounter feels spontaneous and different, with many different attack strategies. Before each encounter, the area must be assessed and a plan must be made. Do I use stealth? Do I plan a route, mark enemy weak spots, lay traps, then enter the fray with precision fire arrows? Or do I run in, frantically shooting arrows and bashing machines in with melee attacks? The level of choice and agency in each fight is fantastic and keeps encounters from becoming stale. Aloy’s suite of gadgets certainly helps as well. The tripcaster is a personal favorite of mine. It really highlights the inventive nature of the game. Dropping a tripcaster then luring over an enemy with a well placed arrow or rock is very satisfying. Keep in mind though, you can take a few hits, but the machines are powerful and you won’t last more than a couple assaults, so there is plenty of tension even in a routine attack. It is important to note however, that the AI can fluctuate in quality often. Sometimes it will be sharp as a tack, sometimes you can sneak up behind it and sit at its side for a few seconds before it realizes you are there. Still, that doesn't take away from the adrenaline of taking down a whole pack of machines with a bit of planning and good reflexes.

The world is also beautiful; the forest is vibrant, the water is clear, and the weather effects are stellar. This game is certainly one of PS4’s most pretty games, even running on a standard PS4 like mine. I cannot speak to the Pro’s graphical upgrade, but I imagine it looks even better. Tying into that, the game has a real visual identity that sets it apart. I have never seen a setting like this before, and I commend Guerrilla Games for trying something new. The way the game seamlessly mixes the futuristic elements with both nature and the human society is impressive and creates a world that I could see actually existing. Even small touches like a turkey or boar hurrying across the footpath adds the the immersion on display here. Unfortunately, my praise ends here.

Firstly, I really hate the story and characters in this game. Everything just feels, well, off. I don’t care to advance the plot. Nothing particularly interesting is being presented here. I really don’t care about Aloy’s story, she is just another misfit who has the ability to do something great, and has fantastic skill. It just feels dull. This issue is compounded by the flat, one-note characters that pervade the experience and make me almost want to skip the cutscenes. This is not helped by the voice work that vacillates too much in quality. Aloy's is very well done, but others, such as Bast, feel very much like a caricature. I wish the narrative was presented better, the world created here is rich for storytelling, and maybe it gets better, but after three hours I don’t feel particularly compelled to continue down the main story. The narrative is just too sloppy compared to the terrific work put out by fellow first party Naughty Dog. The other big issue is the severe lack of polish in the game. Things got off to a rocky start when the game locked up two minutes into the Intro. I have never seen my PS4 do this; sure I have gotten crashes, but not to this extent. First, the game froze. Then I couldn’t close the application. That was followed by my PS4, while still on, cutting the video feed, as my TV could no longer get signal from HDMI 1, and on top of that, my controller turned off. After a full reboot, I was fine with no more crashes in my three hours. Regardless, I have been hit with dropped frames and amateur graphical glitches. There is no reason that Aloy’s arm should float above her leg where it is supposed to be resting, nor should her chin clip into her scarf in a cut-scene.

So, yes, the game is rough. However, that doesn’t take away from the glory of a controller-gripping fight against a Sawtooth, nor the excitement and wonder of climbing a Longneck; it just holds the game back from being on the level of say, Uncharted. With The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild releasing in just two days, I am not sure how much more of my time Horizon will get. I really want to give it more time to really wow me, but it just hasn’t grabbed me like I expected I would. The game play is great, but it is held back by its other elements. Hopefully I can carve out some more game time with Horizon to explore its beautiful world, and fight some more scrappy machines. In the meantime though, I’ll be (im)patiently awaiting this Friday's release of the Nintendo Switch.

Comments